Thursday, 16 April 2009

Easter weekend

So this past weekend I was at West Point for Easter weekend. What I didn't realise was how lucky we Brits are as we get both Friday and Monday off work so every year there is a nice long Easter weekend. It appears that my American friends are not so lucky. I flew over on Thursday night after work and the flight was, as every year for Easter, really busy.

Shaun had to work on Friday so I just did my workouts and chilled at home. Ah, yes and pretended to be a taxi-driver for my husband. I don't like being there when he is working because it just puts added pressure on him to come home early and not let me feel neglected. And he really is a huge workaholic. My boss would really like him.

On Saturday the plan called for a long brick session. It was the first time riding with Shaun since some time last year and I was really looking forward to it. As soon as we set off the rain started. Argh!!!! We rode over to the bottom of Bear Mountain and started climbing. Climbing in the rain wasn't too bad, it was warm and because I was working hard the rain didn't really bother me. After about 4-5 miles, near the top suddenly we hit this fog or cloud or whatever it was. It was really spooky. I loved the climb and I was so pleased that my usual mental attitude of "I can't do this" did not prevail. Going down was different. There is one word for it -FREEZING!!!!! And this is what should have made us think to go back home. But oh, no, we thought we would be OK and carried on climbing towards Seven Lakes. But then going down was so cold that I couldn't feel my feet or my fingers. So after about 2.5 hours we decided to call it a day and ride home. I looked at Shaun and I have never ever seen him that miserable. All I could do was just laugh. But seriously his choice of clothing was poor and his gloves were so thin. So when we thought that the things couldn't get any worse, I got a flat... 8 miles from home. Shaun was shivering and he couldn't keep his hands still so I had to change it... in a pouring rain.. on a side of a quite a busy road. It was bad, really really bad.

All we wanted was to get back home. We got so cold that at one point that I didn't think we would make it back home. But we did, finally. And I couldn't stop laughing. I thought it was hilarious, whilst Shaun was sitting at the bottom of the stairs, still looking miserable, trying to get the wet clothes off. Our clothes was completely wet. If I squeezed my socks, water would pour out of them. I still thought it was really funny. Nothing a nice warm shower and a hot cup of tea could not sort out. The funny thing is that when we got out of the shower and looked outside the rain had stopped. Seriously???? Two hours later there were hardly any signs of the rain, even on the roads.

On Sunday I woke up feeling a bit feverish so following Jen's orders I took a day off training. I didn't want to because I was planning on going for a long run with Shaun but orders have to be obeyed ;-)

Monday morning and flight back home. I again managed to get a first class flight (courtesy of my frequent flyer miles) and I wish I hadn't. Having flown first class few times now, going back to economy, or even business class, seems like torture. What have I done to myself???

I have been doing training on and off this week. Still not feeling well. Yesterday afternoon was worst so far so I had to skip the run. Today not feeling great so I've decided to take time to get better so I can resume proper training this weekend. It is just over two weeks before St. Croix and it is scary. I need to get better real FAST.


Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

You'll be FINE - don't worry! Just look at it as an extra way for your body to get some well-deserved rest. I know its tough - but trust your training and the health! WOW - that sounds like an epic ride!! Sorry about the flat - I've been there myself and its NOT fun. I'm with you on the climbing...its the descending that is FREEZING!

Beth said...

I hope you feel better soon!!! I got sick right before my last race (about 1.5 weeks before) and I was absolutely fine. It's worrisome I know, but you are far enough out that it's no big deal but close enough to the race that you've already done all the really hard work and put in all the big miles. Perfect timing to get sick! ;) Either way - I'm thinking of you!!

Oh, and that ride? I would have been crying on the side of the road. And a flat of all things!!

jessithompson said...

Some of my best races have come off of being sick (or the recovery you take when you're not well). Best of luck to you, and hope you're feeling better soon!

cat. said...

wow! that ride sounds tough. i've so been there. it's all fun and games until someone's teeth can't stop chattering. ; )

hope you feel better soon. baby yourself and think positive thoughts!

Charisa said...

Hope you feel better - you will be fine for St. Croix, plenty of time :)

BreeWee said...

You know what, I got super sick before IM Japan last year (it was my best race ever) and coach told me when we are sick we are STILL working... stay positive, fitness is still there!

Bummer about the flat, yuck, total ride spoilers!

D said...

Ugh... I'm still sick too. I've basically trained through it (except Wednesday, but I'll leave that story to a blog post of my own). I'm getting better, but it's sooooo slow. I guess this is what I get for not getting sick for a few years.