Saturday 17 January 2009

Are we selfish???

I have done four days of bike commute to work this week and I am quite happy with that. I didn't cycle yesterday as I was meeting some friends for dinner and drinks after work. The evening was really good fun but I've tried not to stay out too late and was home by 11 pm.

I did a lot of running and swimming this week and I feel that my running speed is slowly coming back which is great.

I have been in touch with a lot of old friends recently and it was really good to catch up on old days. It appears that pretty much all of our friends have children. Almost every week Shaun and I get an email or text from a friend with the news of his/her newly-born child. I bet they all think that Shaun and I are really odd for not having children yet. I mean, we have been married for 6.5 years and people assume you'd definitely have them by that time. I wonder sometimes whether we are selfish for not having them yet but we are enjoying our life right now as it is and are still not ready for that big change. Our friends talk about children and we talk about new races, training, travel. Surely they think we are odd.

When I was in my early 20s I always thought that I would have at least one child by the time I am 30. Well last year I turned 30 and I still feel like that girl 10 years ago. Maybe we really are selfish, who knows.

5 comments:

Maggs said...

I ask myself that all the time because i don't want kids. I see all my high school and college friends with kids and just can't picture me in their life. I have nephews and nieces and have made it my goal to have an impact on their lives and be very involved with them as they grow up. As they get older I plan on visiting them more and when they are old enough have them stay with me for a while in the summer and take them on great trips, not necessarily spoil them, but let them see more of the world.

m said...

What is selfish about not having kids until you are ready? It is great that you are having adventures and getting to go things together before you have kids. You will be that much more ready if/when you have them.

Eileen Swanson said...

OMG, totally feel like you! We are so not ready yet! Keep having so much fun!!

Charisa said...

It's not selfish at all. You realize you are having fun doing your own thing, and that is awesome. Who says anyone SHOULD have kids? Steven and I have been married 6.5 years also and have no kids yet. And I don't know if we will. not now - we are having too much fun doing fun stuff - traveling to races, hanging out with friends - stuff we probably wouldn't do if we did have kids :) Enjoy it. If and when you want kids, you will know. And if you don't ever want them that is ok too!

D said...

Hells no you're not selfish!! You've made a choice that's right for you. And any child ranting parent that makes you feel this way, just look back at them... 99% of the time they will have actually had their kids for selfish reasons. To each their own, and don't you ever feel bad for the decisions you've made that are right for you!!!!