Wednesday 26 November 2008

To all you parents out there, I salute you

I have spent last weekend with a very good friend of mine whose husband is in the Army and currently in Afghanistan. She has two adorable children, both under the age of four, one of whom is my gorgeous two-and-a-half year old goddaughter.

Belinda (my friend) needed to get few things done so I offered to look after the little ones. Oh boy, that was tough. Trying to entertain kids for 2 hours + is not easy. We played with toys, watched kiddies TV and chatted. Then we did some jumping on the bed and generally goofing around and finally bed-time stories. The weather was awful so we couldn't go anywhere.

By the end of the night I was absolutely exhausted. And then "rudely" awoken the following morning by the little people. There and then I was ready to go home, crawl into my bed and get some rest. I was so tired. Although I spend a lot of time with people with kids this has been a real eye-opener for me. My Mum gave up work when she had us and when I was younger I always used to think that she had it easy because she didn't have to work. How wrong was I. It turns out it was my Dad who was the lucky one. I really admire and respect all those parents out there who are trying so hard to jiggle the family, work and in our case the sport. It is simply incredible. God knows how I will do it one day.

No comments: