Tuesday 29 September 2009

Half-marathon



So last Sunday saw me running my first stand-alone half-marathon race in over two and a half years. It was painful, it was slow, but I loved every minute of it.

I knew it would hurt because I have hardly done any running races in quite some time and I have completely lost any speed I had. For some of you is not that much of a speed but for me it was a lot.

The race was on Sunday morning but I had to go to another one of Shaun's work functions on Saturday night. This one was three-line-whip and there was no way I could get out of it. I guess with being a company commander's wife come a lot of obligations, something I do not really enjoy. I keep being told these last couple of weeks by some young officers in the battalion that I am definitely not a typical army wife which I love. Some of them even use me as an example to their girlfriends which I find quite funny. But anyway, I digress. The party started at 5:30 pm and we were back home around 2:30 am. Ouch, ouch, ouch. I actually knew it would last this long so I was kind of mentally prepared for it, and needless to say I was totally knackered in the morning. The guys at the party (and their wives) thought I was totally mad.

Shaun had to do some other work breakfast thingy on Sunday so he couldn't run with me which was a shame as I am sure he would have loved the race. It was an absolutely beautiful and very hot day. The run starts couple of miles from our house on top of some cliffs in the town centre and quickly drops down to the sea. The next 9-10 miles are out and back along the sea and the view is beautiful.

For me this was a great race because I got to wear my Deal Tri club kit the first time in over two years. I love our club and am very proud to wear its colours.

There was around 12-13 of us from the club running and I was one of two girls. It was so lovely to see everyone again and to catch up on what's been happening in the past two years. And because it was an out and back course I got to see everyone. It was just lovely to see my fast club mates running in the opposite direction waving and high-fiving. It has so reminded me of all the fun I had with them and I was totally fired up to go as quickly as I could for the club.

Unfortunately my "as quick as I can" was my slowest ever half-marathon time by a mile but I knew I had lost speed. Going into the race I just wanted to do my best (considering I was sleep-deprived) and to see where I am at so that I can work at it over the winter. Finishing the race was great as there were lots of people spectating and a lots of cheers from my club mates. I am totally fired up to do another race really soon - I loved every minute of this one.

Once the race was done it was time to enjoy the rest of the Sunday. After an ice bath and quick shower Shaun and I met up with some fellow officers in one of the local bar restaurants on the beach having lovely food and just chatting. I think we were there for 4-5 hours. It was a perfect way to finish the weekend.

5 comments:

Angela and David said...

Damn. I'm impressed you could get yourself out of bed for that half marathon, much less have as much as fun as you did. Nice work.

Anonymous said...

Ooh that is rough!!! I don't even know what 2:30am looks like :) CONGRATS on getting out there and racing, it's not always about how fast you went. It's about how much fun you had!!!

Molly said...

I am so impressed you did that after getting home at 2:30am! I'm glad you had so much fun with it, who cares how fast, enjoying the scenery and your friends!

Beth said...

Oh - sounds like a beautiful course!! Well worth getting out of bed for. ;) Congrats!!

Charisa said...

That sounds like an awesome weekend!! And who cares if you were fast or slow - it was FUN!!